Being a State Party to the Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production and Stockpiling of Bacteriological (Biological) and Toxin Weapons (BWC), Ukraine has obligations pertinent to the BWC to be implemented.
The 2012 Conference aims to spread knowledge on up-to-date Biosafety and Biosecurity concepts among holders of potential dual-use knowledge - professionals from the leading institutions of Ukraine involved in life sciences and medicine research, education and related industry.
This idea results from the growing awareness that numerous benefits linked to the progress in life sciences and biomedical research go along with the potential risk to misuse the dual-use knowledge or techniques and to cause harm.
Therefore, we hope to bring together International and Ukrainian experts in Biosafety and Biosecurity, representatives of leading research and education institutions in the field of life sciences, medicine, veterinary medicine, of pharmaceutical and biotechnological industry, representatives of the Government and authorities engaged in Public Health, Education and Safety of Ukraine for sharing information and for a discussion on broad issues of Biosafety, on the decisions of the 7th BWC Review Conference.
The topics covered during the Conference include, but not limited to:
- Modern Trends of Biosafety and Biosecurity in Regards to the 7th BWC Review Conference.
- International and National Measures and Activities to Improve Biosafety and Biosecurity.
- Strengthening of Cooperation and Assistance under BWC.
- Public Health and Infectious Diseases.
- New Scientific and Technological Developments Relevant to the BWC.
- Oversight of Science and Laboratory Safety and Security.
- Education, Bioethics and Codes of Conduct.
1st Announcement [Eng]
size: 130 KB
1st Announcement [Ukr]
size: 110 KB
|National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine||Commission on Biosafety and Biosecurity
of the National Security and
Defence Council of Ukraine
|Support Unit for the BWC (ISU) of the UN Office for Disarmament Affairs in Geneva|
- U.S. Department of State’s Biosecurity Engagement Program (through CRDF Global)
- Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Ukraine
- Ministry of Health of Ukraine
- Ukrainian Biochemical Society
- National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine
“Biosafety and Biosecurity Education in Ukraine”, Thursday, April 26th, 2012. Seminar for the lecturers of the Ukrainian universities with a round table discussion, sponsored by one of the STCU Funding Parties: Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade,Global Partnership Program, Canada. .
All participants - including invited lecturers - are kindly expected to register online by filling in the Registration Form. Poster presentations are welcomed, but not obligatory. Abstracts should be submitted online in A4 format (2-3 pages for invited lecturers and 1 page for posters participants) with Times Roman font (14 pt) and borders of 2.5 cm on each side. Deadline for abstract submission is April 12 and for registration is April 18.
Head Prof. Serhiy Komisarenko
Scientific secretary Olena Kysil, PhD
Logistics - Ms. Galyna Gergalova
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: +38-044-279-63-65
- Website: http://bioinfo.org.ua/biosafety_conference/
- Address: Palladin Institute of Biochemistry of NASU (Biosafety Conference),
9 Leontovicha Street, Kyiv, 01601, Ukraine
We look forward to see you in Kyiv
Conference Organising Committee